There are several reasons for this, including:
- They are unable to read the dosing instructions.
- They misunderstand or can’t hear physicians' and pharmacists' instructions.
- They don’t understand that they are supposed to take medications or they forget to do so.
- They have difficulty opening drug packaging.
- They have trouble swallowing.
- They can’t get to their medication or pick up prescriptions from the pharmacy.
- They have chronic conditions such as high blood pressure or osteoporosis with no symptoms—without cues, they can lose the motivation or forget to take medication.
- They become overwhelmed trying to manage the timing and dosage of multiple medications.
Adhering to a medication regimen is a key part of preventing hospital readmissions, and ComForcare’s in-home services can ensure that your loved one’s medication schedule is accurately followed. Our senior caregivers are trained to work with client-specific medication profiles to ensure that your family member’s medication is taken on time and in accordance with doctor’s orders.